11/4/13

Some More Recipes For You--Enchilada Soup and Easy Cheesy Manicotti

Cooking is such a trip sometimes.
One week I'll feel on top of the world having prepared, new, delicious, recipes.
Then I'll have a week (like the week a had a couple of weeks ago)
where nothing seems to go right and I think I'm the worst cook ever.
But, alas, it is good to have setbacks because it motivates you!

So a couple of weeks ago I got 2 recipes off pinterest to try (beware always do your research)
and they were both total duds! 
I usually do research on recipes I find online by looking for the recipe
from several different sources, comparing the recipes, user reviews/comments, and
then combining all that into one recipe.
However, I went the lazy route and didn't do that with those pinterest recipes and 
YUCK, they were both not very good.
So last week it was back to basics, and here are my 2 favorite dishes the Bear and I enjoyed.

First, is my mom's recipe for Enchilada Soup!
 I am such a chili lover, taco soup, or whatever you want to call it.  It is so comforting and filling.  
I remember when I was serving my mission
in Russia, our Russian "Mission Mom" would always prepare lunch when we
had our "zone conferences" (just a meeting with a group of missionaries) every 1.5 months.
She did the greatest job of trying to make us American missionaries feel at home
so she would always prepare either roast beef dinner, or taco soup (ya know the kind where you put the taco seasoning, and ranch seasoning in the chili?).  I always hoped for the 
taco soup cause I just love it so much.
However, in my opinion this enchilada soup is even tastier than taco soup because
it has more depth of flavor than just packet seasonings.  

Logan and I are renting a furnished place here in Florida so cooking supplies are limited so I had to 
adjust this slow-cooker meal to make in a regular pot, but I am giving you the slow-cooker route because it is SO easy.

Enchilada Soup:
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 15 ounce can black beans drained
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce package whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped peppers
2 chicken breasts
1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
1 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk

Directions: 
1. In a crock pot combine beans, tomatoes, corn, onions, and peppers.
2.  Place two chicken breasts on top of mixture. 
3. In a separate large bowl mix enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. 
4. Pour sauce over the ingredients in the crock pot.  
5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4.
6. Remove chicken breasts, shred the meat. Add the chicken back to the pot and stir thoroughly.
7. Topping ideas: cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tortilla chips, cornbread 

Note: if soup is a little to thick add a little more milk.



Next I made a cheese manicotti that was so delicious.
Don't let things that are "stuffed" or "filled" scare you, they are very easy to do.

Easy Cheesy Manicotti
Serves 2-3

Ingredients :
1/2 package of manicotti shells (6 shells)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 TBSP. minced garlic
1/2 egg beaten (beat 1 egg, but use only half)
1 TBSP. dried basil
1 TSP. dried oregano
Red Sauce

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (always salt your water when cooking pasta). Add manicotti and cook for 8 minutes, drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  
3. In a bowl, mix 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, oregano, and basil. 
4. Stuff cooked manicotti with the mixture. This is easier than it sounds, simply put your cheese mixture into a ziploc and cut off a small corner and squeeze through the ziploc into the shells. Fill them as much as you can! (I think i didn't fill mine quite enough because they were just a little deflated after baking)
5. Spread enough red sauce to cover the bottom of your baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the dish, and cover with more red sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese
6. Bake approx. 25 minutes in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.




No comments:

Post a Comment