2/24/16

Favorite Products and Random Thoughts

It's a good thing I didn't blog during my pregnancy because I would have sounded like SUCH a whiner.  Truth is I didn't enjoy pregnancy. I was BEYOND grateful to be pregnant (It took Logan and I a little bit longer to get pregnant than we wanted) so that helped me deal with it and be happy through it all but boy was it tough.  The first 4 months consisted of me vomiting every. single. day. Having to run to the bathroom at work so I didn't yack all over my office multiple times a day was the worst.  Being so sick I didn't exercise at. all. during pregnancy and that made me physically miserable, but no energy = no gym time. I didn't gain a single pound my first 20 weeks (because of the yacking) and once it subsided I packed on 40 pounds in the last 20 weeks. It was a really short amount of time to gain so much weight and boy did my body feel it.  Logan and I both got some good laughs out of my cankles ... but really they were insane! 
By the end I was ready for my baby boy but also ready to get my body back.  I knew I would not be one of those girls to loose all the weight via breastfeeding...I just know my body, and sure enough I haven't.  And I knew I couldn't just make some vague goal like "I'm going to get in shape." I needed and have always needed very specific goals. So I made 2 when my boy was born. 
1. Give up soda (I've done this multiple times but I wanted it to stick) don't ge tme wrong I LOVE the stuff it's nectar from the Gods, but I know how I feel when I am properly hydrated and that's what I wanted, no 3 o clock headaches, no energy dips, soda needed to go. And I had developed quite the habit as it was the only thing that settled my stomach during pregnancy. 
2. Train for and run a half marathon (it's always been one of my goals). We are running a half on May 7th! 

I am proud to say I have not had one soda since giving birth (2.5 months!) and I have now been training for my half since I was cleared for running at 8 weeks post-partum. I am lucky that Logan is doing it too so he watches Gray while I run in the mornings, and he runs in the evenings.  

Today I want to share with you some of the products I LOVE and that have helped me get back on track after having my precious boy. I'll never be the cleanest eater ever, I love mah food ya know? But when I am eating well, staying hydrated, and exercising every day I feel SO much better, and I know I am the best wife and mom when I am taking care of myself too. 
So here they are: (p.s. I stole all of these images from the internet b/c ain't nobody got time for taking pics of products) 

1. Trader Joe's Steel Cut Oatmeal 
I am obsessed with this. I eat it 5 days a week for breakfast.  Slow burning carbs people, they are the best. You pop these pre-portioned frozen guys in the microwave for 3 minutes, and breakfast is served. These keep me full until lunch which is awesome too. 

2. Costco Kodiak Cakes

Because somedays you don't want oatmeal! Our cousins introduced us to these and we have been hooked ever since. I can have 3 pancakes for 190 calories and they are packed with protein! They are whole-grain pancakes but don't taste like whole-grain pancakes! Top with fruit and some light syrup and my splurge breakfast doesn't have to be so splurgish. 


3. The Hydro Flask 
This thing goes with me EVERYWHERE. It keeps your water cold for 24 hours people! I put ice in this thing, and there is still ice in it the next day!! It is so much easier to stay hydrated when you are drinking icey cold goodness. I tell everyone I know about my Hydro Flask because it's the bomb!

4. Properly fitted running shoes

If you are in to running, or want to get in to running GET A GATE ANALYSIS PEOPLE. It will change your life. I went in to get mine and I was really wanting some crazy colored Asics because they look so cool. But alas they were not a good fit for me. The gate analysis showed I run on the insides of my feet! Which explains why I often have ankle issues when I run. So the man  had me try on like 10 pairs of running shoes (all different brands) until we landed on a pair of New Balances that felt like running on clouds. Seriously, they aren't the cutest in the world but they make all the difference especially on the longer running days. 

So there you have it, a few of my favorite products as of late. Would love to hear any of your favorite healthy (or not so healthy, I can get down with those too) products! 

xoxo. 


2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Thanks! I definitely feel a difference when I eat oatmeal for breakfast. Love kodiak pancakes!! I just started following their Instagram and want to try new recipes with it. I need that water bottle and new running shoes. I would love to run a half...I need motivation to do one. Maybe I should just sign up for one so than I have to train. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly just love that I can hear you talking as I read your blog! Hah you're the best. Good luck on that half! You're gonna crush it

    ReplyDelete