3/11/16

Salmon Cakes and Cauliflower Fried Rice

As Logan and I are getting more and more in to our half marathon training schedule I find myself wanting to fuel us with healthier and yummier things! (It's much easier to run when we are fueled with whole, non-processed stuff, than a tummy full of bacon, ya that happened one Saturday and I almost yacked on our run...oops!)

My friend Kristi sent me these two recipes and we tried them out this week. They were both a hit. 
The link for the Cauliflower Fried Rice is HERE
My notes I will add for you is that you can find cauliflower rice at trader joe's next to the bagged salad. I went to grab some and they were sold out so I made my own by simply grating a head of cauliflower with a box grater. SUPER easy. Also, we used pancetta from trader joe's instead of the ham (not a big ham fan) and it worked great. My last piece of advice on that recipe is to start out with just a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce and work up from there until you are satisfied with the taste. I find soy sauce to be overpowering and the amount suggested was a bit much.  

The next recipe, the Salmon Cakes I ended up modifying a TON from the original recipe just for taste purposes (I substituted green onions for white, regular flour for the coconut flour, and carrots for the celery) so my take on the salmon cakes is below: 
Serves 2 people with 2 cakes each. 
Ingredients: 
1 6 oz. can of boneless/skinless wild salmon (got mine at Trader Joe's, but Costco also carries it)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 handful of chopped carrots
4 Tbsp. flour (for thickening)
2 eggs
1 tsp. of dried dill (you can add more if you really like dill, but I just wanted a little bit)
1 tsp. of garlic pepper
splash of lemon juice
1/2 tsp. of sea salt
EVOO

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients except for EVOO in a bowl. Make sure to add the flour last. The mixture should be about pancake batter consistency so if you need to add more flour do so. 
2. Heat up a few tbsp. of EVOO in a grill pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is nice and hot scoop 4 patty sized scoops of batter in to the pan.
3. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side and enjoy! 

Serve plain or with a little Greek Yogurt, creme fraiche, or sour cream. 




ENJOY XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment